Unbelievable Yet Amazing

March 16, 2008

Into the Abyss



For my research I am going to talk about black holes. Now I may have to narrow that because I had no idea how much goes into this topic. There are so many theories, people, and phenomena that have to be explained. Before going out and researching I thought this wasn't such a full topic. I already knew the basic ideas around the black hole, but I didn't know where those came from.

People like
Einstein who lived nearly 100 years ago began the concept of a black hole, gravitational forces, and time. All of these tie into black holes. He came up with the theory of gravitational relativity. Now this is a little complicated but, gravity essentially warps space and time. The easiest way to understand this is a trampoline analogy. Think of a planet or star as a ball on the trampoline like a basket ball. Obviously the trampling is going to warp and bend around it. Now think of time and light as marbles you roll towards the, "star," they are going to take a curved path around it. Now make a black hole after the star explodes, making a bowling ball. Send the marbles back exactly the same and they will curve, but they do not escape, they continue going around in circles until the reach the black hole. Now this is a watered down uncomplicated explanation of what a black hole is and does, which is what I will have to do because of my audience of students who are uneducated on this topic.

Another main topic that I want to discuss is the formation of black holes. Interestingly there are more that one kind, actually 3-4 depending on how you look at it. Some were just left over from the formation of the universe and the
big bang. Then there are those that are made from the death of a star, and a supernova, or when the star basically implodes on it's self when it's fuel runs out. There are still more types of black holes that form other ways. I don't think I will have enough time to cover them all.

There are still other questions in the paper that I will have to address like, where are they now, what are they like, is it a worm hole, how are we finding them, and how are we studying them? My paper is probably going to be long. I have already learned a ton of information and I have only scratched the surface.

No comments: